Integrated marketing is driving 2018’s most successful campaigns. Get inspired with our favorite examples of brands doing a smashup job.
There are many definitions (and arguments) for integrated marketing, but I think one of the best versions comes from Nicholas Kinports, EVP of Strategy at NOTICE Agency:
“Integration means mapping your strategy to the reality of the customer. Where does she go and what does she do every day? Your marketing message must be aligned across all of those touch points, which in 2017 are usually experiential, smartphone, and news feed app-driven. If the message doesn’t align, you’ve lost her and she likely isn’t coming back. That’s the new reality of the ultra-short attention span consumer.”
Our favorite integrated marketing campaigns take a message and tailor it for every part of the customer journey, then tie it all back to the end goal. Without further ado…
1. lululemon uses brand ambassadors as the grassroots center of it’s message.
Did you know one of the most important athletic apparel brands of our time started as a little yoga studio in Canada? That’s the lululemon story, and it’s all due to a great product combined with even better marketing. Who would have thought that the right brand ambassadors would not influence sales, but do it for free… Want to get the details? Check out our lululemon case study on brand ambassadors.
lululemon Integrated Marketing Strategy: Brand Ambassadors+Events+Out of Home+Social
- Brand ambassadors give free class events in stores several times per week, sharing in social media
- Influencers show off product on Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat
- Digital video does the heavy lifting, though the company did not run ads until 2017
2. Fashion Nova goes insanely viral with influencer content around the world
In a short year clothing ecommerce company Fashion Nova has exploded onto the social media scene with looks on influencers of all shapes and sizes. The company offers a fast fashion approach to trendy looks at affordable prices, and is now one of the most searched for brands online.
Fashion Nova Integrated Marketing Strategy: Events+Influencers+Direct Response
- Events sponsorships featuring popular influencers around the world.
- Influencer looks daily with social media superstars and micro-influencers alike.
- Aggressive brand ambassador recruitment program that brings fresh talent into the brand regularly without the need for outside recruiter software or agencies.
- Regular deals and sales offered through email marketing keeps users coming back for more.
View this post on Instagram
which @boohoo outfit do you prefer? // HIT 200K ON YOUTUBE!😍❤️🎉 beyond excited to film more videos when I’m back home next week 😇 so many ideas but if you want to see anything in particular then definitely comment below so I can get to it. ❤️ LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH & THANK YOU. You mean the absolute world to me and my YouTube fam will always have a special place in my heart. If you want to catch up on any videos you missed I’ll leave the link to my channel in my bio ❤️😊
3. Porsche is using events and influencers around the United States to appeal to a broader audience.
For as long as I can remember, Porsche has been my Dad’s car. Let’s put aside my bank balance for a minute, I’m not even sure I would want a sports car. I mean, what’s so great about it anyway? Porsche is seeking to change that mindset with a series of pop-up events around the country.
Porsche Integrated Marketing Strategy: Events+Influencers+Social+Video+Radio
- Pop-up events in iconic locations like Chicago’s Soldier Field announced close to the day of using social media influencers creates urgency and buzz.
- Mobile-friendly content delivered to geo-targeted affluent consumer smartphones in days leading up to the event generates awareness and kicks off sharing, allowing the brand to get Instagram followers and build momentum.
- Snapchat and Instagram Stories activation with an insanely shareable experience. The Porsche Racing Team takes guests on whiplash-inducing hot laps around a temporary autocross track.
- Activation with VR and 360 video of other iconic Porsche driving experiences on the side lines.
- Post-event streaming radio with hooks to a content-based website push consumers further down the funnel and extend event value.
Porsche Popup Autocross Event Series from NOTICE – A Social Content Agency.
4. The Field Museum is bringing exhibits out of the basement and into the real world.
Chicago’s Field Museum decided to up their marketing game by employing an integrated approach to drive special exhibit attendance. By creating interactive experiences throughout the urban core, the brand is able to break through. Trust me, when you are walking down the street and stumble on ancient terracotta warriors, it’s kind of impossible to ignore.
The Field Museum Integrated Marketing Strategy: Experiential+Influencers+Social+Out of Home+Digital Display+Video
- Amazing surprise locations with clues shared in social media mere hours before they appear drives true viral engagement.
- Incredibly detailed replica exhibits demand social media interaction, and target Instagram Stories, regular Instagram, and Snapchat.
- Social media influencers with specific interest in location are given exclusive Cultural Ambassador status, helping them feel special about sharing campaign content and driving continued social media buzz.
- Impactful out of home advertising like lamp post banners and billboards alert city dwellers a new surprise is on the way.
- Digital paid media including targeted, rich interactive ad units provide another way to get in on the fun.
- Super fun videos captured of crowds interacting with exhibits, as well as 360 videos help the world get in on the action.
The Field Museum: #SpotAWarrior Campaign Recap from NOTICE – A Social Content Agency
5. GoPro is leveraging user-generated content to own action sports.
GoPro uses the theme “Be a HERO” to connect with its target audience in a meaningful way. Using brand-related sponsorships and endorsements, outdoor ads, SEO, web, and heavy social media, GoPro integrates all of their marketing efforts with plenty of engaging content from customers themselves. Top it all off with a comprehensive “always on” brand ambassador marketing program, and you’ve got a winning challenger brand.
GoPro Integrated Marketing Strategy: Search+Social+Out of Home+Video
GoPro has explored many consumer electronics products over the years, and continues to innovate in the areas of cameras, batteries, and even drones.
- GoPro users can submit their original videos using the latest GoPro HERO 5 to win Video or Photo of the Day on GoPro’s social media channels.
- The brand was able to score one of the top ads of the year by using a firefighter’s original GoPro video, proving that when you have a strong brand message, even user-generated content will represent your campaign and make it successful.
- Out of home ads in key markets leveraged user-generated content to show the cool factor and associate further with the adrenaline junky lifestyle.
- Tie in with sponsorships around the integrated campaign instantly delivers a targeted, scalable audience.
By the way, even though I’ve watched it countless times, I never get tired of this GoPro video:
6. Extreme Sports Ownership and Events: Red Bull Takes Integrated Marketing to the Next Level
Red Bull will always be fan and marketer favorite. Through endorsements, sponsorships, web, social, smart TV, etc, all efforts lead back to “Red Bull gives you wings.” Whether it’s literal wings per certain TV spots, or metaphoric with extreme sports, everyone can recall and relate to the tag line.
The Red Bull Stratos with Feliz Baumgartner is perhaps Red Bull’s most powerful marketing to date, with the space jump video still reminding us what? Red Bull does give ya wings — or at least sponsor really cool stunts where you don’t even need them.
7. BONUS: Challenger Brand Kraken Rum Leverages Integrated Marketing to Bypass Big Competitors
“Release the Kraken!” is not only a catchphrase for “The Clash of the Titans,” but it also represents the theme for Kraken Rum. Complete with package design, TV, out-of-home, blog and social content, Kraken strives to “release” its quirky personality everywhere. They have a giant Kraken mural in Brooklyn for fans to compare their size to the Kraken, and offer a follow up by asking viewers to post their pictures with the mural on Instagram with the hashtag #KrakenHugeness. A personal favorite is this out-of-home billboard where the beast may have actually been released:
Kraken Rum also has a mobile app where you can pretend to navigate the seas, hopefully avoiding certain disaster. Reviewers have mentioned the game is not amazing, but better when drunk. Hopefully, they’re drinking Kraken.
Further Learning: Must-Read Integrated Marketing Resources with Case Studies
- How to create a meaningful brand: Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Whole Branding Team
- Build a message consumers want to respond to: Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
- Create visually stunning advertising: Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
- Leverage brand ambassadors to deliver your message: Word of Mouth and Social Media
- Measure your marketing program like an academic: Measuring Electronic Word-of-Mouth Effectiveness: Developing and Applying the eWOM Trust Scale